Sunday, September 30, 2007

Day 28
September 30, 2007

We spent the day at home, and now that it's finally cooling down...spent most of it in the yard!
After mowing...I walked around the yard with camera in hand!!

This area is our Butterfly Zone...at least that's my excuse for not mowing it. We let it grow up for a long time, but mowed it a couple of weeks ago because it was way out of hand...now I'm letting it grow up a bit again. Why? Well, because there are literally hundreds of Gulf Fritillary caterpillars there...they are growing and feeding on the naturally occuring passion vine!
Alex in Butterfly Zone....

And imagine my surprise, and utter delight, when hubby found these Monarch Caterpillars in the butterfly garden!!! I planted tropical milkweed in the hopes that they would attract monarchs! If you plant it..they will come!!!
Monarch Caterpillar

A Monarch Chrysalis....I can see why ancient Roman ladies wore them as jewlery!!
28/365

And a couple of backyard friends...this snail was climbing the wall after the rain...
Snail on the Wall

And our Golden Orb Spider...one of two in the yard. This is the larger of the two. She's longer than my index finger, and including her legs, is as wide as my palm!! But she does a GREAT job of eating various flying annoyances!! LOL
Golden Orb Spider

No comments: